Junior Nanotech Network (JNN)
A Self-Organized PhD Students Exchange Program
"Nanostructures & Biophysics: Material Science on the Supramolecular Scale"
Wolfgang Hillen Summer School 2015 - High-Tech for Students from Bavaria and California
JNN 2015 with University of California Santa Barbara
Part I (California): May 4-22, 2015
Part II (Bavaria): September 14 - October 2, 2015
Scope of the Program:
The aim of the Junior Nanotech Network (JNN) is to exchange knowledge of world class nanoscience and nanobioscience between graduate students from different institutions worldwide. The JNN project takes advantage of local expertise and facilities and aims at initiating scientific and personal exchange between junior nano-researchers in Germany and partner institutions abroad, linking the research efforts in the field of nanoscience of the two universities and fostering the interaction between the partnering countries. The 20 participants at each exchange are preselected based on excellence and compatibility of the proposed projects.
The scientific program involves two main elements:
- 1 week of high-class lectures on nano(bio)sciences
- 2 weeks of hands-on experimental training supervised by the host peers
In addition to the scientific program, the JNN offers to the participants plenty of time for discussions with the research partners and a sound cultural immersion into the local (scientific) community of the hosting country.
The JNN was established in 2006 together with partners from McGill University (Canada) and was repeated in 2008 with McGill and in 2010 with the Center for the Physics of the Living Cell (CPLC), University of Illinois at Urbana-Campaign. The 2012 JNN connected graduate students from CeNS with peers from the Californian NanoSystems Institute (CNSI), Santa Barbara (U.S.). In 2013/14, the JNN exchange was organized with the Tel Aviv University Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
- JNN 2006 and 2008: cooperation "Bayern-Québec", hosted at the Bayerisch-Französisches Hochschulzentrum (BFHZ)
- JNN 2010: Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) via the International Bureau
- JNN 2012: BaCaTeC, the Bavarian-Californian Technology Center
- JNN 2013/14: Deutsch-Israelische Projektkooperation (DIP)
- JNN 2015: BaCaTeC, the Bavarian-Californian Technology Center